insert: clever and witty remark

sometimes resembling something interesting.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Es Weird

I was walking to catch my bus this morning and I started to watch a squirrel that seemed to be trying to keep pace with me. As I watched his jerky movements I started to think that this is what people look like when walking under strobe lights. Then I started to think of a squirrel at a disco and it made me laugh. This is no small feat considering it was 7:30 am and I am not a morning person.

And on a completely unrelated topic, I stumbled onto my latest obsession thanks to the Seattle Public Library. I picked up a book Es Cuba: Life and Love on an Illegal Island by Lea Aschkenas and was sucked into the plight of an American traveling to an island completely forbidden and being with a Cuban trying to get to America. I just finished my second book about Cuba, Ay, Cuba! by Andrei Codrescu, an NPR reporter. It was a totally different angle, as a tourist with nothing emotionally vested into the adventure than curiosity and compassion. Now, thanks to my curiosity and the compelling story of the country, I have to go to Cuba. Not that it will be easy. I do not expect some tropical paradise or super happy place with super happy people. I expect it to make me sad and angry and pissed off, but I still want to go. Some day.

So my international travel 'to-do' list is (in order): Japan, France (Paris), Cuba, India, Germany (Berlin), Iceland, Italy (Tuscany), Spain, Morocco, and Costa Rica.

1 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean has been to Iceland a couple of times. For work, if you can believe it. He says it's cool but it sounds like my own personal version of hell. Next time you're here ask him to see the pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home