insert: clever and witty remark

sometimes resembling something interesting.

Friday, April 07, 2006

Home Alive

Last night I went to the first of four three hour self-defense classes through Home Alive. The organization was started in response to a local Seattle musician, Mia Zapata, who was raped and murdered in 1993. The women who founded the organization had a lot of issues with what self-defense was available to them. They felt the traditional self-defense model was too restrictive not only in method but also in ideology. They also wanted it to be available to everyone. They wanted to embrace the GLBT community. When I read about it online, I felt engaged and I wanted to support such an awesome organization.

I could go on and on and on about what we discussed, what myths we debunked, and general discussion. But I won't. Not only are there privacy issues, but I feel everyone should take a class, male or female.

My body aches, I was emotionally drained (FYI: chocking practice is hard and disturbing), but I feel the rewards already. I walked from class to Dylan's apartment feeling a bit stronger and a bit wiser than three hours previous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home